February 13, 2016
Sitterson Hall, Computer Science Department, UNC Chapel Hill
This symposium is geared towards undergraduate and graduate women who are interested in computing, whether as a major/minor or as a hobby. Come join women from the Triangle area to learn more about what all you can do with Computer Science and related areas.
- Hear about exciting computing areas that current graduate/undergraduate students are working on
- Interact with women graduate students in different computing research areas/projects
- Ask questions about the experiences of other women in computing
- Learn about resources that can help you lead a successful career in computing, or aid you as you take computing related courses
- Meet more women in computing, have a great time, eat good food and get some swag!
Sitterson Hall, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
201 South Columbia Street, Chapel Hill, NC
- Keynote Speaker
- Research Flash Talks
- Learn about a variety of research areas through 5-10 minute talks by researchers We’ll cover areas such as computer vision, computational biology, serious games, security, real-time systems, graphics, VR and more!
- Demos and Posters
- Interact with researchers and engage with demos of various research areas.
- Panel Discussion
- Learn from researchers about what it is like to conduct research in various career settings. We will have the opportunity to ask questions of professors, graduate students, and researchers in industry.
|9:00am-9:30am Registration Open|
|9:30am-10:00am Keynote Speaker
Dr. Cynthia Sturton (UNC Chapel Hill)
|10:00am-10:50am Research Flash Talks Part 1
Hear women talk about their research projects!
Computer Vision / Yipin Zhou
Real-time Systems / Catherine Jarrett
Computer Graphics / Tanya Amert
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology / Nur Shahir
Serious Games / Sarah Rust
Human-Computer Interaction / Duri Long
Virtual Reality / Prof. Mary Whitton
|10:50am-11:40am Demos and Poster Session
Talk with researchers and explore current projects! (Coffee and snacks)
Dr. Beatriz Paniagua
|11:40am-12:30pm Research Flash Talks Part 2
Networks and Graph Mining / Natalie Stanley
Applied Math (Mathematical Biology) / Caitlin Hult
Security: An Introduction to Fuzzing / Sarah Andrabi
Distributed & Parallel Systems / Anwesha Das
Medical Image Analysis / Dr. Beatriz Paniagua
Getting into Research / Marie Nesfield
Enjoy some delicious food while talking to graduate students in research areas that interest you.
|01:30pm-02:15pm Panel Discussion
Hear seniors, graduate students, professors, and engineers in computing talk about the challenges they faced and what helped them succeed. Ask questions about what resources can help you in your coursework, research, grad school applications, or the job hunt!
Dr. Jasleen Kaur, Associate Professor
Dr. Diane Pozefsky, Research Professor
Duri Long, Senior Undergrad
Tanya Amert, First-year Grad
Sarah Andrabi, Microsoft
Dr. Bipasa Chattopadhyay, Microsoft
|02:15pm-02:30pm Wrap Up
See you next year!